Hassan Schroeder said:
> Roger Baklund wrote:
>
>>>Maybe I don't understand connection pooling, then. Isn't its purpose
>>> to allow a client -- say, a webapp running in Tomcat -- to multiplex
>>> requests for *multiple* end users over a single connection?
>>
>> Almost... except for the 'single connection' part. It will maintain a
>> pool of connections, thus the name 'pooling'.
>
> Of course -- I was trying to simplify for the purpose of discussion...
>
>> A sensible connection pooling implementation would do something like
>> this:
>>
>> - accept a client connection
>> - if a free database connection is in the pool:
>>   - return it to the user
>> - otherwise if the pool is full:
>>   - return error message to user "too many connections, retry later"
>> - otherwise
>>   - create a new database connection
>>   - add it to the pool
>>   - return it to the user
>>
>> Once a user has got a connection, he keeps it for the entire session,
>> that usually means untill the program ends or the connection is
>> explicitly closed.
>
> OK, but the "user" here is the servlet container (Tomcat), *not*
> the human end user.
>
>> There may be other ways to implement connection pooling, but I would
>> say an implementation allowing separate statements from separate users
>> intermingeled on the same connection was... well, at least special, if
>> not broken. Besides LAST_INSERT_ID(), user variables would also be
>> broken in such a system.
>
> As would temporary tables, which is why I stopped using them for
> request-specific data :-)
>
> Related to this, does each process in the query log match to a single
> active connection? Or is that connection-pool-implementation dependent?
>
> --
> Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Webtuitive Design ===  (+1) 408-938-0567   === http://webtuitive.com
>
>                            dream.  code.
On a related note.
You should always "close" the connection before ending the jsp, not depend
on the garbage collector to do it for you.
In the case of a connection pool setup this will return the connection to
the pool and in the case of a direct connection setup, release the
connection to mysql.

William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
Ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27
FAX. 909-608-7061