I'm new to the list, hope this is the correct mailing list.

I have a new installation of MySQL 4.0.16. Default binary installation (apt-get). It's running on linux (morphix .4).

Locally, I can connect to the MySQL server
> mysql -h localhost -p

I can also connect through phpmyadmin (remotely or locally).
http://xxx.168.xxx.xxx/phpmyadmin/

but I can't connect if I put in the IP address (locally or remotely)
> mysql -h xxx.168.xxx.xxx -p
password:
ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'xxx.168.xxx.xxx' (22) --- locally
ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'xxx.168.xxx.xxx' (61) -- remotely

I've looked all through the documentation from MySQL and the archives on the web. From looking at the docs, it seems that my problem either lies in how the user accounts are set up for how the server is set up. My guess is the user accounts. I've set up the user to be able to connect from anywhere. Summary(user: xxxxxxx, host: %, password: Yes, privileges: ALL PRIVILEGES , grant: Yes). I used phpmyadmin to set up the accounts.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron-