* Matthew Stuart
> I am using version 4 of MySQL and the people who I am told to use to
> host the site are running 3 on the server I will be using.

This is probably not so unusual. 3.23.x hopefully, and x should be as big as
possible...:

3.23.47 was the last version released in 2001,
3.23.54 was the last version released in 2002,
3.23.58 was the last version released in 2003.

> I am not using any real complex table structures eg: autoincrement,
> date, timestamp, medium int, small int, indexes.

All of this is supported in mysql 3.23.

> I have to do a dump of data to install on remote server.
> Will this be backwards compatible?

The output of mysqldump from a version 4 database can usually be loaded on a
version 3 server. The dump is in the form of "INSERT INTO ..." statements.
Are you using foreign key constraints? This is only supported for InnoDB
(and BDB) tables, but InnoDB is also available on many 3.x servers,
depending on the configuration of the server. Check it with SHOW VARIABLES:

mysql> show variables like "have_inno%";
+---------------+-------+
| Variable_name | Value |
| have_innobase | NO    |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

> Should I just install version 3 and be done with it?

Take a look in the change log, see if there are any features you are using,
new in 4.0. Are you using UNION, for instance? Not supported in 3.x.

--
Roger