Thanks for responding randy. so I checked my my.ini file and the address is set to
127.0.0.1. I checked the database error file and it was empty. I posted the my.ini
file down below. Any other suggestions ? When I try to startmysql through the MSDOS
prompt it says

C:\Program Files\EasyPHP1-7\mysql\bin>mysql
ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

My my.ini file
# Example mysql config file.
# Copy this file to c:\my.cnf to set global options
#
# One can use all long options that the program supports.
# Run the program with --help to get a list of available options
# This will be passed to all mysql clients
[client]
#password=my_password
port=3306
#socket=MySQL
# Here is entries for some specific programs
# The following values assume you have at least 32M ram
# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
skip-innodb
bind-address=127.0.0.1
port=3306
#socket=MySQL
skip-locking
set-variable = key_buffer=16K
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable = thread_stack=64K
set-variable = table_cache=4
set-variable = sort_buffer=64K
set-variable = net_buffer_length=2K
server-id = 1
# Uncomment the following if you want to log updates
#log-bin
# Uncomment the following rows if you move the MySQL distribution to another
# location
basedir = C:/Program Files/EasyPHP1-7/mysql/
datadir = C:/Program Files/EasyPHP1-7/mysql/data/

# Uncomment the following if you are NOT using BDB tables
#skip-bdb
# Uncomment the following if you are using Innobase tables
#innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:100M
#innodb_data_home_dir = c:\ibdata
#innodb_log_group_home_dir = c:\iblogs
#innodb_log_arch_dir = c:\iblogs
#set-variable = innodb_mirrored_log_groups=1
#set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
#set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=5M
#set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
#innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
#innodb_log_archive=0
#set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=16M
#set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=2M
#set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=4
#set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50
[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=16M
[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates
[isamchk]
set-variable = key_buffer=8M
set-variable = sort_buffer=8M
[myisamchk]
set-variable = key_buffer=8M
set-variable = sort_buffer=8M
[mysqlhotcopy]
interactive-timeout

Randy Clamons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Check your my.ini (in c:\WINNT or c:\windows) for the bind-address. To
force TCP connection
the address should be set to 127.0.0.1. When connecting from PHP, connect
to 127.0.0.1 instead
of localhost. Specifying localhost as the address attempts to connect with
named pipe.

Also, check your [database].err file (located in the mysql/data folder) for
any errors while starting
the server.

Randy

At 11:32 AM 01/12/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>So I recently removed firepages PHP 4.0, and then installed the EasyPHP
>package 1.7(MYSQL, APACHE, PHP) . When it starts up everything runs except
>MYSQL the program is installed in the C:Program files-> EASY PHP1.7->
>MYSQL. I recieve the following error,
>Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)
>
>Do I need to change the port setting? or do I need to install in the C:/
>folder?
>
>any advice is muchly appreciated.
>
>rich

Thanks for using Astro-Auction.com.