I have a table that stores strings in utf8, using the
default collation utf8_genera_ci. During comparison
using LIKE, MySQL 4.1.1 seems to be able to handle
case insensitivity of latin characters correctly but
not other characters such as Greek.

For example, I have a varchar column (mycol) with data:

(that is "a <not equal to sign> <greek small letter alpha>", 3

characters)

if I do
select * from mytable where mycol LIKE '%A%'
(giving it latin capital A) will return that row but

select * from mytable where mycol LIKE '%%'
(giving it greek capital letter alpha) doesn't return that row

and doing
select * from mytable where my col LIKE '%%'
(giving it greek small letter alpha) also returns that row.

So it looks like case insensitivity only works with the
latin part of the unicode set but doesn't work with others
such as greek. Is that the expected behavior? If so,
that is really undesirable, making it impossible to
truly support multiple character sets at once.

Thanks,
Des

Note: I did do SET CHARACTER SET utf8 for the client
before sending strings over.