On 13 Jan 2004, at 19:11, Jochem van Dieten wrote:

I most certainly hope this Oracle idiosyncracy will never make it into
MySQL.

The SQL standard defines a different syntax for doing recursive
queries, using WITH RECURSIVE. I see no reason for MySQL to implement
a non-standard way for doing recursive queries when there is a viable
alternative (DB2 already uses WITH conform the SQL standard) that has
standardized behaviour.
I know that a CONNECT BY PRIOR patch is readily available for
PostgreSQL but the PostgreSQL developers reject it exactly because it
does not follow the SQL standard. I think the PostgreSQL developers
are right to do so, non-standard features have caused enough trouble
for application portability as it is.

Jochem

Point taken. I never knew about the WITH RECURSIVE syntax.

Certainly, if CONNECT BY PRIOR is an Oracle only extension, then WITH RECURSIVE does sound like the better option of the two.

Steve.