-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Searching for matching zipcode in a list of (ranges of) zipcodes
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:14:19 +0100
From: Mirza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tom Hesp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi,
If you rewrite ranges 3612-3621 to have all elements named (3612,
3613,... , 3621), you can use fulltext search to find matching
engineers. Users can still enter 3612-3621 to it's frontend application,
but you must write all numbers to database.
hope this helps,
mirza

Tom Hesp wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking for a simple solution to find a zipcode in lists of zipcodes.

I have a table with customer data including the customer's zipcode and a
table containing information about service engineers. The service engineers
can define a list of zipcode (ranges) of areas they want to (or are able to)
service. An example of such a list is: 3528,3529,3612-3621,3828. This list
is stored in one field in the service engineer table.

What I would like to do is by using the customer's zipcode select all
engineers that have that zipcode in their list. E.g. 3529 & 3615 would match
while 3530 would not in the above example. I can of course code this in
perl, for example, but that would mean that for every search I need to do I
would have to retrieve the entire service engineer table and go through it
to find a match. I was hoping MySQL would have function to this. I searched
the documentation but have not been able to find any.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,
Tom Hesp