At 11:31 -0500 1/15/04, Mike Johnson wrote:
This is in reference to 4.0.16, FWIW...

I can't find any direct references to the actual grant permission for controlling a slave thread in the online docs. The closest I saw was the 5th paragraph on http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Replication_HOWTO.html. It would seem logical that it's covered by either REPLICATION CLIENT or REPLICATION SLAVE, but not so.

Anyway, my experimentation leads me to believe that it's controlled by the SUPER privilege. The online docs don't mention these in the description, only this: "Allows one connect (once) even if max_connections is reached and execute commands CHANGE MASTER, KILL thread, mysqladmin debug, PURGE MASTER LOGS and SET GLOBAL." Paul DuBois' 2nd ed. of MySQL 4 ("the purple book") doesn't mention them directly in the description of SUPER, either (pages 682 and 869).

Hmm...you're right.

I just looked in the source, and it's the SUPER privilege that's needed
for START SLAVE and STOP SLAVE.  I've updated the manual to indicate
this:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/START_SLAVE.html
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/STOP_SLAVE.html

-- Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team Madison, Wisconsin, USA MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

MySQL Users Conference: April 14-16, 2004
http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/