> the crashes below happen in independent areas of code. The 2 first are
> inside InnoDB, and the third inside MySQL. This looks like random thread
> crashes, or random memory corruption.

My colleague tells me that the third stack trace (the one inside MySQL)
is from a RESET MASTER.  This server used to be a slave that was promoted
to master.  My apologies for not making this distinction.

The ones inside InnoDB have been triggered by querying disk-resident
low use tables.

> I assume that you have my.cnf set so that the memory usage cannot approach 2
> GB.

> You are running a relatively new Linux kernel, 2.4.23. Did the crashes start
> when you upgraded Linux?

Well, maybe.  This is a new machine.  The previous machine was Red Hat 8.0's
default kernel, which is 2.4.18 + RH patches.  We were also running 3.23.56
which didn't seg fault like this.

>From the log, MySQL says:

> It is possible that mysqld could use up to
> key_buffer_size + (record_buffer + sort_buffer)*max_connections = 1884024 K
> bytes of memory

I never remember if the above calculation is usable or not.

basedir=/usr/local/mysql/
user=mysql
server-id=3
log-bin=/dblog/dbms3-bin

log-slow-queries = /usr/local/mysql/data/dbms3.slow_queries
set-variable = long_query_time=5

innodb_data_home_dir =
innodb_data_file_path = /dev/md0:76319Mraw

set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=800M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=50M

innodb_log_group_home_dir = /dblog
innodb_log_arch_dir = /dblog
innodb_log_archive=0

set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=1.5G
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M

innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=0
set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=4
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50

set-variable = wait_timeout=360
set-variable = tmp_table_size=8000000
set-variable = max_connections=415
set-variable = table_cache=256
set-variable = sort_buffer=4M
set-variable = key_buffer=128M
set-variable = thread_cache_size=415
set-variable = max_connect_errors=50000
set-variable = thread_stack=256k

--
Michael Bacarella                24/7 phone: 1-646-641-8662
Netgraft Corporation                   http://netgraft.com/