Nicholas Fitzgerald wrote:

go to the command prompt and use mysql or mysqladmin I get "access deniged for user "@localhost". No "root" or anything like that. I don't know where I screwed up, but I obviously screwed up something. Any ideas out there on how I can get back in control of this situation?

Shutdown mysqld, and restart mysqld with the --skip-grant-tables option. Now you will be able to connect as root without specifying a password.

Once you've connected, give the command "flush privileges" to make
Mysql start using the grant tables.

Then you can add or edit records in the mysql.user table.