Hello,

This is my first message on this list.  So I take the occasion to salute every
one of you.

I'm looking to implement a database server wich will mostly insert data.  The
data structure is not complexe.  The data will be insterted in 1 table at
burst rates of 13000 insert/seconds and sustained rates of about 5000/sec for
about 8 hours a day.   There will be selects from time to times, so let
assume 100 selects /day.   Note that the row size will be about 80 bytes.
The data needs to be kept in the database for around 90 days after which, the
data is dropped from the database.  Being more familiar with Oracle, I was
considering a partitioned table for the entries.  Someone I work with told me
that MySQL had merge tables that could serve the same purpose.   The goal is
to optimize selects and simplify the aging of the data by droping a partition
and creating an other one every day.

If I have a choice between MySQL and other products, I might push the MySQL
solution as long as it can do the job.  My hope, with this message is to get
comments or suggestions for this kind of setup that could help me fit MySQL
in this project.  Any suggestion is welcomed, like hardware size, warnings,
pros, cons, etc. etc.

Finally, we hope to save a bundle in oracle licenses.

Thank You in advance.

-Eric