Hi

You should check out: http://onlamp.com/ L.A.M.P. (Linux/Apache/MySQL/Perl(or PHP) are becoming the de facto standards for web-based applications, I think far eclipsing Java (JSP/Servlets) and Microsoft ASP/VB.

Unlike Java (which is driven to a large degree by Sun's promotion) and ASP (heavily promoted by MS), LAMP has become so widespread because it's just really good (and cheap).http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

I personally prefer to program in Perl, which is The Coolest Language Ever Invented, although Java has advantages. C/C++ for server-side programming are great if you have lots of money and time and are concerned handling massive amounts of traffic. ASP (Visual Basic) is really terrible. Although I do a lot of work in it, I don't like it. It does not have the same semantic versatility of C-based languages like Perl. And regular expressions in VB are a heinous pastiche of the true elegance of regular expressions in Perl.

I'm sure many people will disagree vociferously with my opinions here and they may have good points also, which I have neglected. Programming languages are like indentation styles - you can do a very fine job with different ones, and yet most people become very particular about their own styles and hate working with others. One might also dispute my argument that LAMP is far more widespread than ASP or Java as the survey I cited doesn't really consider server-side programming language, just servers, but I suspect far more people are running mysql/[php|perl] on linux than anything else and the server-side languages used probably mirror this. Perhaps someone else can offer better statistics.

In short, I would use Linux/Apache/MySQL/Perl.

Now I'm afraid I will have roused the VB or Java crowds. Perhaps I should sign this with an assumed name?

/Alfred E. Neuman/

Seena Blace wrote:

Hi,
I'm new to this group.I would like to know which frontend tools be good tuned with Mysql database like php,perl etc?
I want to develop one application on linux on mysql database which eventually would be webbased.Please suggest what combination would be good.
thx
-Seena