I'm new to all of this, but I recently installed a
preconfigured package with Apache, PHP, MySQL and
PHPMyAdmin from "ApacheFriends" (XAMPP). I tried a
couple other packages, but they didn't work. XAMPP has
been wonderful so far, but I goofed when I tried to
connect MySQL with Dreamweaver.

I was reading a tutorial on connecting MySQL to
Dreamweaver at
http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/documents/mysql_config.htm#utilities

It said I need to assign MySQL a password - and that's
as far as I got.

I have two MySQL/Bin folders on my C drive - the
original at C:/XAMPP/mysql/bin/ and a copy of XAMPP's
MySQL folder at C:/mysql/bin/ I think I created the
second folder when I was first playing with XAMPP and
tyring to figure it out. I was going to delete it, but
I thought I might first use it for practice by
assigning it a password.

So I changed the directory to C:/mysql/bin/ and typed
in the following:

> mysqladmin -u root password LGSyM

Then I refreshed a page in PHPMyAdmin 2.5.3 that
illustrates some basic MySQL settings, but I got the
following error message:

"phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and
the server rejected the connection. You should check
the host, username and password in config.inc.php and
make sure that they correspond to the information
given by the administrator of the MySQL server."

Error

#1045 - Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
(Using password: NO)

[Documentation]

I want to get some advice before I make the problem
any worse. Can I fix this by removing the password I
created? If so, how can I do that? Should I then
assign the password to the proper directory -
C:/XAMPP/mysql/bin/ ?

I'm not even sure if I need a password. I'm just using
MySQL on my computer. My sites are hosted by an ISP
with its own MySQL installation. But I'm not certain
if I can connect MySQL to Dreamweaver without a
password.

One more question... If I've created too big a mess, I
could probably just delete the entire XAMPP package
and start again. But will the password I created still
be in my computer somewhere?

Thanks!