As to the direct question of two servers accessing the same file via SAN, I don't know. But here is an option we are using.

I have two Linux Servers, a Web Server & and SQL server. Our web server resides on both the internal & external networks (two nics), with some firewall software installed (IPTables). The outside network accesses the webserver and the webserver accesses the SQL server. Therefore no one on the outside can directly access the internal network & the SQL server. Anyone using a SQL GUI interface or and scripting language would not have direct access to the SQL server. They would need to access the webserver which has programs on that allows limited in-direct access to the SQL server. Hope this helps.

Patrick Shoaf
IT Manager

Could someone please tell me if tyhe following is possible or if a solution
accomplishing the same thing is available?

I would like to build a database using two MySQL servers accessing the same
physical file on a common Drive attached to each computer via a SAN.  Can
this be done or is there data integrity issues and database file locking
issues?.  Our main goal is to provide the data gathered on a secure network
and allow it to be seen on an insecure network.  I do understand that this
can be accomplished using firewalls and other networking tools, but our
management has been very firm in their insistence that a user has no direct
network access to our internal/secure LAN.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Matthew Harris

Patrick J. Shoaf, Systems Engineer
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Midmon Internet Services, LLC
100 Third Street
Charleroi, PA 15022
http://www.midmon.com