Alex,

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Zeltser, Alex"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 10:28 PM
Subject: RE: InnoDB locking 'non-existence' of a row

> Hello Heikki,
>
> Thank you for your reply and your explanation.  It clarifies things and =
> explains some of the
> unexpected behavior I've observed (such as my own inability to insert to =
> the gap after locking it).
>
> In general, is there a place where I can find a good discussion on the =
> various locks used by InnoDB?
> I've seen references to various locks in InnoDB status output, but =
> wasn't sure what each kind was
> (S-locks, X-locks, etc.).  This would be a great aid for helping =
> troubleshoot these kinds of
> problems.

/mysql/innobase/lock/lock0lock.c contains a lengthy comment at the start of
the file. And the full source code of the algorithms, too :). Papers by IBM
researcher C. Mohan may also be of interest.

> Thank you for your time,
>
> Alex Zeltser

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM
tables

Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/