Thanks for good explnation.

Some more questions:
#1Does 'update' also create temporary table?
#2What happend with old table after alter?

From: mos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mike Mapsnac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Kill "alter table" process? Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:12:07 -0600

At 05:34 PM 1/21/2004, you wrote:
I run alter today on table with 380,000 records. 'Alter' was adding
column to the table. It took 10 minutes and server load went up to
15.

"alter table info add column interactive_email enum('on','off') NOT NULL default 'on';"

Here comes my questions:

#1 If I kill the process after it was running for 5 minutes. Would it
update some records and some records not?

#2 How dangerous is to stop alter?

#3 What is a good way to stop alter or update without damaging database?

Thanks

Mike,
"Alter" creates a copy of the table so stopping it in the middle won't hurt anything. If the Alter succeeds, it renames the new table to the old table name.

Mike