At 22:39 -0800 1/21/04, Daniel Lahey wrote:
Ok, I've read the release notes, the manual, the threads on this mailing list, installed/removed/re-installed about 5 times, tried 4.0.1, 4.1, 5.0, and I can't get MySQL to run on my Mac (dual-proc 867MHz, 768MB RAM). When I run configure, it tells me everything is hunky-dory and that I should just be happy and run mysqld. I try to run mysqld and it immediately aborts and tells me that /tmp/mysql.sock isn't set up. If I try to run mysqladmin -u root

Exact command used to start mysqld, and exact text of the error messages, please -- not a text description of what happened.

password <password> just like the manual tells me to, it aborts as above and tells me to run mysqld (or mysqld_safe). The manual tells me I can "just

That makes sense. mysqladmin has to connect to the server. If the server isn't running, none of the client programs will work.

click on the dmg file and follow the instructions." I've done that for both the distribution and the startup item several times (and re-started several times in between). I've read the manual about security and the root user account as the message instructed me to do. No help. I even tried to compile the control center using the instructions I found for that, installed Qt as instructed, compiled it (I think, the instructions for that were along the lines of: "Now just compile it and you're all done!" Hah! Do you hear me? Hah, I say.) The "instructions" don't tell me where to install it or how to test for a valid installation. When I try to compile CC it says "install Qt first." I did. 3 times. In 3 different places. Copied all of the include and lib files all over the freakin' hard drive to try to make it happy. Not happy.

Ok, now, are there REAL instructions for installing some working version of MySQL on a Mac somewhere? What do I REALLY have to do? Has someone actually documented the entire process or does the documentation consist of the vague, scattered hints I've been able to find? I'd love to check out MySQL, but do I have to learn a secret handshake or pledge allegiance to Open Source or something?

Thanks for any help. Sorry to rant, but I've been working on this for three days now.

- Dan

P.S. Any notes on using it with Xcode would be appreciated, too.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

MySQL Users Conference: April 14-16, 2004
http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/