I am having a problem with accessing the mysql database in a new MySQL
installation on OS X Panther.

This installation came with the original OS, and some configuration was done
right after installation. I have previously installed MySQL on Linux and Win
and have never encountered this problem.

After being unable to log into MySQL at all, I decided to reset the MySQL
root password. I did everything according to the book (several of them):

- kill mysqld by killing <host>.pid
- restarting mysqld --skip-grant-tables
- reset password for root by using MySQL client
- Flush Privileges
- restart mysqld the normal way.

Over the past 2 days I have done this many many times. In between the steps
I always check the processes to confirm that the previous step took.

With the grant tables skipped I am able to access the mysql db just fine.
After flushing privileges and restarting without skipping I cannot connect
to the mysql db with either of the usr/pwd combinations I just created.

I have tried back and forth - with a my.cnf file in /etc and without. With
the client password set in that file and without.

I am doing everything with the root password in OS X enabled but logged in
as a non-root user. Where It's needed I am using sudo. Is this where the
problem is? the password for OS X root and MySQL are different, and the
MySQL password does not contain any reserved letters.

It strikes me that, after going through all of this, and as a non root user,
the graphical MySQL Manager refuses to stop the database without giving me
an error message.
# mysqladmin -u password <password> has not worked in any scenario, whatever
I do.

I am getting really sick of this and have exhausted my ideas after going
through several manuals.

Can somebody please help!

Thanks!

Dietrich