Here is my scenario:

I have 3 linux boxes - 2 with mysql 4.0.16 and 1 with 4.0.17.

I have a 4.0.16 master (sys1) replicating a database (db1) that is
roughly 1.5GB to a slave system (sys2) running 4.0.17.  For the sake of
a formal representation I'll say that (sys1,db1) --> (sys2,db1)
represents this relationship.

On sys2 we run an application that inspects the replication of db1 and
maintains information in a different database (db2).  I would like sys2
to replicate db2 to our third system (sys3) which happens to be running
version 4.0.16.  (sys2,db2) --> (sys3,db2).

In this situation, can system sys2, who is a slave to sys1 for db1, be a
master for db2 to a slave system sys3?

If this is possible could someone help me by inspecting my my.cnf files
and tell me why the second step (sys2,db2) --> (sys3,db2) does not
replicate?

Here are pieces of the my.cnf files that should be relevant.  If someone
can tell me what I'm doing wrong or has some suggestions I would greatly
appreciate it.

my.cnf from sys1:

==============

[mysqld]