I have a db that had some 20,000 records or so in it.  I have a query to
find out how many jobs have been input during the current day.  To add them
I ran the following query...

"select count(idnumber) from maintable where inputdatetime > '$date
00:00:00' and client='smith'"

$date is the current date in CCYY-MM-DD fashion and the query runs.  However
it seems fairly slow.  I have now added some 100,000+ records from a merge I
performed and now it takes a really long time.  Is there a better way to
query this that will take a load off the machine?  The only key in the table
is the idnumber.  I don't really know anything about how keys help or when
to/not to use them other than their being a necessity for an auto_increment
field.

TIA

Larry