I had to reload mysql 4.0.17 on to a Fedora Core machine that was previously
working in the same configuration. Now though I can't get the server to run
with the either of the following commands:

./mysql.server start - the command line reappears with no error but no
running process in the system monitor
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe -user=mysql - this command does not return
to the command prompt so when I hit the enter key I get "Starting mysqld
daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql 0404124 00:13:21 mysqld ended.

It looks to me as if it attempts to start but fails with no error.

I checked the mysqld.log and I see that I get 6 entries for each start
attempt:

040124 time mysqld started

040124 time Can't start server: bind on unix socket: Permission denied

040124 time Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket:
/var/lib/mysql/mysql/mysql.sock ?

040124 time Aborting

040124 time /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete

040124 time /mysqld ended

I have the myserver.start script in the init.d folder for boot startup and
still get the same error (rc5.d)

Permissions for the /var/lib/mysql/mysql/ dir is mysql

I did neglect to create the mysql user and group prior to install from
source but subsequently added the user and group and reran the install over
the initial install??????

What am I missing on the reinstall?