Kev wrote:

I installed mysql on my Mac Powerbook 10.3 and cannot access the server even
though it seems to be running. I get the socket error as seen below. I used
the disk img package from the mysql website.

Kevins-Computer:~ kevinbarry$ sudo /Library/StartupItems/MySql/MySql start

Password:

Starting MySQL database server

Kevins-Computer:~ kevinbarry$ /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

Kevins-Computer:~ kevinbarry$ ps auxw | grep mysqld

kevinbar   497   0.0  0.0    18644     96 std  R+    1:44PM   0:00.01 grep
mysqld

That only shows your `grep mysql`, which implies the server isn't running. If the server were running, you should see another line for mysqld.

Could part of the problem be that the id for the running server is not mysql
and how do I change it to mysql?

Look in /usr/local/mysql/data/ for the log file hostname.err (replace 'hostname' with the name of your mac) to see why mysqld didn't start. My first guess would be a permissions problem with either /tmp or /usr/local/mysql/data.

Michael