Can anyone tell me why the following behaviour occurs. There is no change to
the contents of tables_priv after adding the table grant to some_user before
and after the database restart. The database has been upgraded from 3.23 to
4.1.1 and the
mysql_fix_privilege_tables script has been run.

# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 4.1.1-alpha-standard

mysql> use mysql;

Database changed
mysql> show grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED];
---------------------------------------------------------------------+

---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES ON *.* TO
'some_user'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD
'*43933BDF3E95B05EC8BE52E6AEE83DB1B1E309CA' |
| GRANT SELECT ON `some_db`.* TO 'some_user'@'localhost'

---------------------------------------------------------------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> grant all on some_db.some_table to 'some_user'@'localhost';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> show grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED];
--+
| Grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--+
| GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES ON *.* TO
'some_user'@'localhost' |
| GRANT SELECT ON `some_db`.* TO 'some_user'@'localhost'
|
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `some_db`.`some_table` TO 'some_user'@'localhost'

--+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> exit
Bye
# /etc/init.d/mysql restart
Killing mysqld with pid 4103
Wait for mysqld to exit\c
040127 12:33:04  mysqld ended

 done
# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql

# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 4.1.1-alpha-standard

---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES ON *.* TO
'some_user'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD
'*43933BDF3E95B05EC8BE52E6AEE83DB1B1E309CA' |
| GRANT SELECT ON `some_db`.* TO 'some_user'@'localhost'

---------------------------------------------------------------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

Steven Hentschel

Live Life in Broadband
www.telewest.co.uk

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail may not represent those of the
company. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the
sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.