What I have is a shell script that gathers information from a computer, and
I want the script to check to see if there is currently a record that
already exists that has a certain Ethernet(MAC) address. I would also like
to have an ID number for the record that auto-increments so that I can have
an asset number to display on a web page. (Some assets I enter may not have
an Ethernet address because I am creating a database for hardware assets.
Computers, printers, etc., so I need to have an asset ID)

I have ethernet_address set as a Unique Key, and asset_id set as Primary_Key
and to auto-increment.

If I just use replace like below, every time the record is updated, the
asset number that is set to auto-increment is updated. So if it was 5
before, it is now 6. I don't what the asset_id to change of course.

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql  --user=$username --password=$password
--host=$server cetechnology -e \
    "REPLACE INTO hardware_assets (ethernet_address, operating_system)\
        VALUES \
        ('$ethernet_address', '$operating_system')";

I don't currently have MySql 4.1 running on my server, I have the 3.23.53
that comes with OS X Server 10.2, so if the suggestion you gave me is the
only way (or the best) I will have to upgrade the server. If there is
another way to do the same thing, please let me know.

Mike