From: Bob Ramsey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: maandag 12 januari 2004 19:26
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: wildcards the field

Hi,

I'd like to use a mysql database as a lookup to authorize people to edit
webpage.  The idea is that people would go to a main login page for
authentication and then when they visit a page they are authorized to
edit,
they see an "edit this page" link.

What I'm envisioning is a really basic table structure like this:

id varchar (10)
path varchar (255)

id is a foreign key that links back to another table I have with more
user
information, but that isn't really important.

Entries might look like this, with explanation in brackets []:

'ramsey', '/' [I am the webmaster, I can edit all files in all
directories] 'jones', '/data1' [jones can edit all files in the data1
directory] 'jones', '/data2/jonesdoc.php' [jones can also edit this one
file in data2] 'smith', '/data2' [smith can edit all files in data2]
'smith', '/data2' [smith can also edit all files in data3]

People will generally have access to an entire directory, but not
necessarily.  Most people will have access to more than one directory.

So if jones goes to http://www.mysite.com/data1/index.php, the php code
on
the page sees that the file is /data1/index.php.  It then needs to find
out
if jones can edit that file.

I'd like to be able to do a single mysql query.

select * from table where path = '/data1/index.php' and user
='jones';[obviously won't work]

I can use php and get take the current page and turn it into '/data1'
and
then do:

select * from table where (path ='/data1/index.php' or path='/data1')
and
user ='jones';

but I'm curious if there's a way to have '/data1/index.php' match
'/data1'
using wildcards or something like that.

Thanks,

bob

Bob Ramsey                       Applications Development & Support II
ph:  1(319)335-9956                              187 Boyd Law Building
fax: 1(319)335-9019                  University of Iowa College of Law
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                Iowa City, IA 52242-1113
For Hardware and Software questions, call 5-9124