On a new installation of mysql on a Mac OS X machine 10.3.x I am getting the
following in the .err log:

040127 17:23:29  mysqld started

/Library/MySQL/libexec/mysqld: ERROR: unknown variable
'innodb_buffer_pool_size = 70M'

040127 17:23:32  mysqld ended

040127 18:43:58  mysqld started

/Library/MySQL/libexec/mysqld: ERROR: unknown variable
'innodb_buffer_pool_size = 70M'

040127 18:44:04  mysqld ended

040127 19:33:57  mysqld started

/Library/MySQL/libexec/mysqld: ERROR: unknown variable
'innodb_buffer_pool_size = 70M'

040127 19:34:00  mysqld ended

and so on.....

The server logistics package of 4.0.15 was used for the installation.

Now I have 3  my.cnf files in different locations, two are the same:

This is the my.cnf in the /etc and in the /Library/MySQL/libexec/ directory

# turn on binary logging and slow query logging log-bin log-slow-queries

# InnoDB config

# This is the basic config as suggested in the manual # Datafile(s) must be
able to # hold your data and indexes.

# make sure you have enough

# free disk space.

innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend # Set buffer pool size to #
50 - 80% of your computer's memory set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size =
70M set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=10M

# set the log file size to about

# 25% of the buffer pool size

set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=20M

set_variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M

# Set ..flush_log at_trx_commit # to 0 if you can afford losing

# some last transactions

innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1

This is the third my.cnf with path:

Kevins-Computer:/usr/local/mysql/data kevinbarry$ more my.conf # Example
mysql config file for medium systems.

#

# This is for a system with little memory (32M - 64M) where MySQL plays

# a important part and systems up to 128M very MySQL is used together with

# other programs (like a web server) # # You can copy this file to #
/etc/my.cnf to set global options,

# mysql-data-dir/my.cnf to set server-specific options (in this

# installation this directory is /Library/MySQL/var) or

# ~/.my.cnf to set user-specific options.

#

# One can in this file use all long options that the program supports.

# If you want to know which options a program support, run the program #
with --help option.

# The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients [client]

#password       = your_password

port            = 3306

socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock

SECTION REMOVED TO REDUCE MESSAGE SIZE

# The MySQL server

[mysqld]

port            = 3306

socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock

skip-locking

key_buffer = 16M

max_allowed_packet = 1M

table_cache = 64

sort_buffer_size = 512K

net_buffer_length = 8K

myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M

# Point the following paths to different dedicated disks

#tmpdir         = /tmp/

#log-update     = /path-to-dedicated-directory/hostname

# Uncomment the following if you are using BDB tables #bdb_cache_size = 4M
#bdb_max_lock = 10000

# Uncomment the following if you are using InnoDB tables
#innodb_data_home_dir = /Library/MySQL/var/ #innodb_data_file_path =
ibdata1:10M:autoextend

#innodb_log_group_home_dir = /Library/MySQL/var/

#innodb_log_arch_dir = /Library/MySQL/var/

# You can set .._buffer_pool_size up to 50 - 80 %

# of RAM but beware of setting memory usage too high

#innodb_buffer_pool_size = 16M

#innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 2M

# Set .._log_file_size to 25 % of buffer pool size

#innodb_log_file_size = 5M #innodb_log_buffer_size = 8M

#innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 1

#innodb_lock_wait_timeout = 50

[mysqldump]

quick

max_allowed_packet = 16M

[mysql]

no-auto-rehash

# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[isamchk]

key_buffer = 20M

sort_buffer_size = 20M

read_buffer = 2M

write_buffer = 2M

[myisamchk]

key_buffer = 20M

sort_buffer_size = 20M

read_buffer = 2M

write_buffer = 2M

[mysqlhotcopy]

interactive-timeout

I believe that the first my.cnf file above is sufficient but it contains the
line that is giving the error re. innodb_buffer_pool so is the location
incorrect or is it something else.

Thanks.