> I don't think there would be any benefit to using InnoDB, at least not
> from a transaction point of view

For the longest time I was reading the books and listening to the experts
and all I was hearing is InnoDB is great because it handles transactions.
Having little interest in transactions per se I pretty much started tuning
things out whenever people mentioned InnoDB.

One day when talking to some MySQL AB folks they asked why I wasn't using
InnoDB... I kind of looked at them blankly and replied that I don't need
transactions, and they looked back as if I was mad.

Turns out InnoDB is far better at handling large databases than MyISAM, we
had a massive (and I do mean massive) increase in performance just by
switching to InnoDB. Uses a little more disk space, but it's worth it, and
with a 5GByte database and a G5 server you have room to spare, even if you
only got the "smaller" disks.

InnoDB is a major thing for us now, everything is InnoDB. If an Engineer
complains something they have done is running slowly it usually turns out to
be they made some new thing and didn't make the table InnoDB. The fix is
easy and quick. I also suspect that you could do away with that nightly
table repair that ties up the machine for hours at a time if you were using
InnoDB.

We have 4 G5 towers serving MySQL for us, all DP2GHz machines with 4GBytes
of RAM. If your data is changing rapidly, as it appears from your samples
most pages include some sort of insert, you will have limited benefit from
the Query cache - every time a table receives any type of change to it's
data any queries in the query cache that use that table are dumped. In
February we are adding to the mix with 2 G5 XServes... These are for new
projects, the current servers are handling their loads fine.

On the Disk side we got the dual 250GBytes and mirrored them for redundancy,
speed isn't an issue as far as we can tell.

We chose to replace our old database servers with G5s. The old machines were
quad processor Sun boxes, and one was an 8 CPU machine. The G5s left them
all for dead in terms of performance, although I'd prefer a couple of extra
processors, something inside me still feels better knowing that when a
process goes AWOL it's not holding up 50% of the server's resources. The
Application servers are still typically Sun, although new ones won't be.

We average about 140 Queries per second per machine (of course the load
isn't that well distributed... but it gives you an idea), and typical high
points are about 400 - 500 qps on any given machine without stressing the
machines (replication catch up can see 1500 - 2000 queries per second, but
that's not so common and of course is mostly inserts).

Before we did the upgrade to 4.0.17 during last Friday's maintenance window
we were over 1.5 billion queries total for the 28 days the machines had been
up.

So.. My tips for you:

1) Consider a switch to InnoDB, the performance hit was dramatic, and it's
about SO much more than transactions (which we still don't do)!

2) Drop the query cache to something more practical, a gigabyte is fine if
your data is static, if it's not it's way too much. We use 128MBytes and
typically have about a 30% hit rate on the Query cache and the busiest
server is showing 80MBytes unused memory in the query cache and a 41% hit
rate, and our databases take about 40G of disk space. Remember having a big
query cache doesn't help if it's mostly sitting unused (in fact if ours are
still sitting with 80M free in a week I'll drop all of them 64MBytes).

3) Give lots of memory to InnoDB, I'll share my settings below.

4) Take most of the non InnoDB memory settings and drop them down real low,
InnoDB does well on it's own and if you convert all tables you don't need to
leave much in the way of resources for MyISAM.

5) Turn on and use the slow query log (and if need be change the time needed
to qualify as a slow query, the default 10 seconds is a lifetime). You may
not code the queries yourself, but you can identify the queries that are
causing problems and from there you can advise the client on changes to the
database structure (indexes etc) or at least tell him exactly what the
problem queries are.

6) Go get MyTOP from Jeremy Zawodny at
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/mysql/mytop/ - personally I like version 1.3 but
that may just be what I am used to... You may not be able to control the
coding part but you can at least monitor the server and see what it's up to
and quickly and easily see problems.

7) If you decide to stay with MyISAM and not InnoDB then you will want as
much memory as you can in the Key Buffer while leaving some space in the
sort/read/join buffers.. I'd up the sort/read/join buffers to maybe
10MBytes, or even 20Mbytes, if you need to drop Key buffer to 1500M to give
you the space for the others. We got OKish results on MyISAM with the larger
sort/read/join buffers - InnoDB made all the difference though.

Before giving you our settings I do want to point out one thing... We
haven't fine tuned the memory settings since we did the G5 switch. At the
time I was bringing the machines up they needed to be up quickly, and when
it didn't work correctly with my original settings I had to make adjustments
to get it to run at all. Ideally I want InnoDB holding about 3GBytes of ram,
I'll make adjustments next month when I can play on an offline server and
figure out what works best.

This one worked and got the machines up inside the maintenance window, so I
went with it (we get 2 hours a week max. and before we can touch the
database servers we have to bring down 120 application servers and we have
to finish with the database servers in enough time to bring up the 120
application servers before the two hours is over). When we get the G5
XServes I will have some more time to run tests on just how far I can push
the InnoDB Buffer pool... As you can understand we don't like to bring down
our servers for this type of testing. Clearly our performance isn't too bad
or I would have focused on this sooner.

Best Regards, Bruce

Here are our memory related settings from our G5s:

set-variable    = max_connections=1000
#
# Remember some memory is allocated to each connection,
# so this can be a factor

set-variable    = key_buffer_size=16M
set-variable    = table_cache=4096
set-variable    = sort_buffer_size=2M
set-variable    = read_buffer_size=2M
set-variable    = read_rnd_buffer_size=2M
set-variable    = thread_cache_size=32
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=2M
set-variable    = query_cache_size=128M
#
# Really here the query cache is the main thing, we tend
# to leave small buffers for the rest for those times when
# we use a MyISAM table, like when an engineer forgets to
# make a table InnoDB for example (and remember to ALWAYS
# leave the mysql database as MyISAM tables)
#

set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=1500M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=256M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=20M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=0
#
# I include this last one here because it really helped us,
# it's not memory related, but it made a big performance
# difference in our case - check innodb.com for what it
# does and decide if it will help your situation