I can connect from SQLYog,MySqlCC,jdbc from remote with no problem.
However, when I try to connect(mysql -u root) from localhost, then I
get access denied.  Checked the user table and root can connect from
anywhere(%).

Also, if I (mysql -u root -p root) from localhost, then it prompts me for a password. I enter password 'root' and then I get this error:

ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'root' --weird huh?
I searched, but found nothing that resembles this situation. PlzHlp.

I am running 4.1.1 alpha on Red Hat with the --old-password option.
TIA.

-- Brian Harris Application Developer OptData Inc./ATRS [EMAIL PROTECTED]