I've executed the mysql -h ip -u user -p pw
No space after -p.  I know it's weird, but it's the only way it will work.
So, use this: mysql -h ip -u user -ppw

With the result that I get asked for a PW and then told I can't connect.
You shouldn't get asked for PW if you use the above syntax correctly.

But, I don't have the 4.1.1 client. Where is it?
If you downloaded mysql4.1.1 to your laptop, then you have it. Otherwise:
http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-4.1.html

There is no '...client' in the bin directory.

By client, I mean the mysql file in the bin dir. If you set your system path, you won't need to actually be in the bin dir.

Otherwise you need to cd to that dir. So the entire proc is:

1.Open command prompt.

2.cd C:\mysql\bin

3.mysql -h ip -u user -ppw

--

This mail composed and sent using Mozilla Thunderbird.
(http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/)

-----It's a brave, GNU world!(sorry Bill)-----

OpenSource is aimed at skilled users, not the 3l33T3 war3z crowd.
(1f U sp3ll l1k3 th1s, gu3ss wh1ch U R)

:

Thanks for the reply. I've executed the mysql -h ip -u user -p pw

With the result that I get asked for a PW and then told I can't connect.

But, I don't have the 4.1.1 client.  Where is it? There is no
'...client' in the bin directory.

Thanks,

Chris