> If you are using MySQL 4.x, using a RAM disk isn't going to speed
> up similar Selects very much because it caches them. If you are doing a
lot
> of different Selects then it will help.

Its a web search engine with 10-15 search options, so yes the selects will
vary and very often every row will need to be examined.
Also as I mentioned the ramdisk will be used to speed up a very long
insert/optimize batch.
Thanks for the tip on the tempfile!

>  There are hardware based RAM cards that don't steal memory from the OS,
that will solve the problem but are
> still fairly expensive.

Yeah they also defeat the purpose of using Opteron chips with on-chip memory
controllers for high memory bandwidth.
The only advantage of those cards that I know of is that they have a
seperate power supply so they are less risky, but we will be backing each
update up to disk anyway.
I understand Linux's ramdisk implementation is stable, we are also using ECC
ram.