Ware Adams said:
> Paul Stearns wrote:
>
>>As reported under the subject "Random Database Slowdowns..." on the
>> win32 list, our database still hangs on an average of 1-2 times per
>> day.
>>
>>I can find no error messages or logs associated to the problem. It
>> affects both IIS ADO connections as well as local connections from
>> tools such as mysqlcc, mysqladmin and command line tools such as mysql.
>>
>>I see no CPU activity associated with the "hangs". I cannot stop and
>> restart the service, but most of the time a reboot will resolve the
>> problem. Sometimes the problem will reoccur within a few minutes of a
>> reboot, other times it takes hours.
>
> I can't swear it's the same problem, but we had very similar symptoms
> some time ago (version was around 4.0.8 or so).  This was also on Mac OS
> X Server 10.2.x.
>
> Seemingly random queries would just not finish.  They were queries we
> had run before and could even run at the same time from a different
> client.  But this process would just not finish.
>
> It would sit in show processlist forever.  If it was the only query
> running the mysqld cpu load would drop to around zero.  There was no i/o
> activity if it was the only query running.  Any temp files associated
> with the query wouldn't grow.  Sometimes it was a small query, sometimes
> a big one.
>
> If you tried to kill the process from within the command line client or
> mysqladmin it would show up as killed in the process list but never die.
> Issuing mysqladmin shutdown wouldn't shut down the mysqld server b/c it
> couldn't kill off the queries either.
>
> Even kill -9 <mysqld pid> would hang the machine.  The only solution was
> rebooting while mysqld was running b/c we couldn't shut it down.
>
> We tried moving to InnoDB and got the same situation (and show innodb
> status\G revealed no work was being done within InnoDB).
>
> We tried swapping RAM, swapping hard drives, changing drive formats
> (HFS+ to UFS), installing Yellow Dog Linux on the machine, etc....
>
> I was pretty certain it was just a MySQL on the Mac issue, but then I
> pulled the drives and RAM and put them in an identical Mac.  Same
> drives, same RAM, same data, same OS, same MySQL...the problem
> disappeared.
>
> We sent the machine back to Apple (it was new) and they replaced the
> mother board.  That machine would show random errors even in just
> desktop use, so though the solution seems onerous we really didn't have
> much choice.  If you can, I'd try running the queries on a different
> machine.
>
> Good luck,
> Ware
If moving to new hardware solved the problem, it was the hardware.  Had
similar problem with Linux kernel compilation a few years ago. Drove us
crazy for a while since on that process failed.  Turned out bad cache chip
on motherboard. Moral: if you can't trust the hardware, all bets are off.

William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
Ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27
FAX. 909-608-7061