At 15:50 +0000 2/5/04, Daniel R. Anderson wrote:
I got the following error on a perl script:

"Duplicate entry '273' for key 1"

It means you tried to set the value of the column corresponding to key one to 273, and there was already a record that had that value.

I googled for it and found a thread telling me to DROP the table and re CREATE it. So I did, and my script is working fine. My question: why did this happen, why did dropping and recreating work, and what can I do in the future if this happens and I've got things in my database I don't want to DROP?

Can't tell why it happened without more information about your situation.

-- Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team Madison, Wisconsin, USA MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

MySQL Users Conference: April 14-16, 2004
http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/