Hi,

 I've some data out of a legacy application which has a list of names and
 mailing addresses for contacts. The legacy data is from a DG database.
 Every few weeks my sql database will be repopulated.  There are four
 varchar(30) fields describing  names and addresses (name1,add1,add2,
 add3). The client name often has more than 30 characters and
 these records are overflowed into the next field and identified with
 a '/' in column 1 of the add1 field. The metadata indicates name may
 even overflow into add2(again marked by a '/' in column 1 of the field).

 I've worked around the problem with a query structured like this

 select Person_Name1
 From Persons
 Where
 CONCAT(IFNULL(Person_Name1,""),IFNULL(Person_Add1,""),
  IFNULL(Person_Add2,"")) like  '%Wilson%'

 This works well but as you can see I get all names like 'Wilson' but also
 select streets named Wilson. Is it possible to select the names from all
 records and correctly look at the continuation records? My tests are with
 MySQL but the final engine may be sql server (not my call!).

 TIA  DB