I'm using apache 2, and I'm not having any problems with it at all.  It's a
little weird trying to get it configured the first time, but other than that
it's not bad.  We have found that it can push a little more bandwidth and
the load seems to be a little lower than 1.x.  But then again we are running
linux 2.6.x as well.  So it could be a combination of things.

I was just being lazy when I installed it with apt-get install httpd.  So
much easier than actually compiling anything!  One more added features, if
you have the problem with the max clients of 1024 issue, you don't have to
worry about that with apache2, you can just add it to the httpd.conf.

Donny