Hi,
I am currently migrating data DIRECTLY from a microsoft sql server 7 database into a mysql database. The sql database supports strings in different languages(Japanese French, spanish and so on). The sql 7 database has been setup to support unicode.

1. How do I create a databese to support unicode in mysql. I read the doc. on mysql.com and it specified about using the database unicode parameter or setting unicode at the column level. How can I perform this at the command line. I will prefer to use the Database option.

2. The above migration only works if I use varchar(255) instead of blob datatype. I need in mysql to have columns in tables that will support up to 5000 charaters for string data. Sql 7 complains that it does not support blob upon exporting data into mysql directly. All other datatypes work.
How do I solve this and does mysql allow a dataype that can accept string data up to 5000 characters.

I am new to mysql. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Dale Goolcharan.