I have inherited several mysql v4x servers.  All but one of them works
as expected with /root/.my.cnf files.

That last server is driving me nuts ;>  I have RTFM, and I do not find
this particular problem anywhere.  Pointers to TFM are welcome.

   # mysql -h localhost -u root
   ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)

   # sudo cat /root/.my.cnf
   [client]
   user     = root
   password = ********

This works OK:

   # mysql -h localhost -u root -p
   Enter password: ********

Yes, I do know that password, and the one in /root/.my.cnf is the same,
and I have changed the password for root with the same results.

My own user, mds, works as expected via options file ~/.my.cnf .

What am I missing?

--
Best Regards,

mds