Mark Russell wrote:

What began as a test database server for a web developer in one department, has now become a tangled web of production databases, test databases, and abandoned databases for multiple departments. Of course, the only documentation I have is a Post-It note with the root password on it.

The first thing I did was a complete backup of all
databases.  The second thing I did was change the root
password.

My next step is to try and document what is on the
server.  I am thinking I should document each database
on the server, the purpose of the database, the
department it belongs to, and a primary contact name,
and a backup schedule for the database.

After documenting who ownes which database, ask each department what SLA they expect on their database to see if there are people having unrealistic high uptime and time-to-fix expectations. That should give you a way to prioritize the rest.

Jochem

--
I don't get it
immigrants don't work