In a message dated 2/15/2004 4:39:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I've got an iBook running gentoo and MySQL version 4.0.17 and it's on the
same router with my desktop running gentoo and MySQL version 4.0.17. I would
simply like to use the iBook as a mysql client and have it connect to the mysql
server running on my desktop. What is the simplest way to accomplish this?
I am not familiar with 'gentoo' but connecting a mysql client to a server is
pretty straigh-forward:
 at the command prompt on the client:

 mysql -h DB-server-hostname-or-IP  -u YourMySQL-username -p
YourMySQL-user-name password  DB-name

>From an application standpoint, that depends on the tool being used, but
there are several methods, a C/C++ API, ODBC drivers, a JDBC driver, Perl'd
infamous DBI engine, PHP, etc.

Not trying to duck the question, but it really depends on the amount of data,
size of the database, your programming skillset,, whether you are using
off-the-shelf products, etc.  Many paths, much documentation on the mysql.com site.
 I'd start there.

HTH.

/t