We are trying to do some capacity planning, and we need to know how MySQL
allocates the the filespace in the directories set by the tmpdir
configuration parameter.

The manual simply states:
"...It may be useful if your default /tmp directory resides on a partition
that is too small to hold temporary tables. Starting from MySQL 4.1, this
option accepts several paths that are used in round-robin fashion."

How is the work spread around amongst the different tmpdir 'segments' ( the
directories enumerated by ':' in the tmpdir config. variable)? The manual
says the directories are used in a "round-robin" fashion.

Do this mean each new job requiring the use of temp space (spilling out of a
sort heap, I assume?) goes to a different tmpdir 'segment' directory in a
round-robin fashion? Or does it mean that the tmpdir 'segments' are assigned
round-robin as they fill up?

Also, we'd like to make a RAMDISK the default directory for most of the
smaller tmpdir work, but the big jobs will spill out to other disks. Is this
determined by which dir is listed 1st? Or is the default always /tmp? And
will it allocate work files to the directories in the order listed in tmpdir?
Or are all the directories functionally equal?

Thanks in advance!

/lee

=====
======