Craig Robinson wrote:

Hi,

I intend to use MySQL for a database application, and I am not sure
whether to use MyISAM or InnoDB tables. There will be a very large
amount of (mainly numerical) data. The relations between the tables will
be reasonably simple. Which table type would you recommend?

The relationships between tables can be satisfied by either table type if they can be satisfied by the relational model. InnoDB does offer foreign key constraints though, allowing you to leave integrity checking to the database. InnoDB will also allow you to easily ROLLBACK transactions.

MyISAM is faster in many cases, but InnoDB offers higher concurrency.

Also, I find
InnoDB tables take up about twice the space as MyISAM - is this correct?

Yes, it is correct. One of the reasons is that InnoDB has to worry about keeping track of multiple versions of rows and which version of each row is to be seen by each currently running transaction.

Cheers,

Craig Robinson.

Regards,

Chris