I have a, possibly not so unusual problem, with dates.  The standard MySQL datatime
accounts for
all dates starting between the year 0000 and 9999 inclusive.

The problem I'm having is that I have a client who wants to build a database for an
art-history
collection.  We'd like to be able to date works and artists so that we can do
comparisons by range
and find differences between the current date and their birthdate/creationdate etc.
The problem
is, there's currently no way to specify BCE (Before Common Era - The politically
correct BC) and
it gets tricky to do math with those dates if you just add an extra isBCE field and
specify the
date as normal format along the negative scale.

I'm just wondering if any developers have thought about creating a datetime field that
could
handle BCE dates and if the date match functions could be updated to support those.  I
know that
for historical applications, this could make MySQL the only viable solution for a
database engine.

Peter