David Griffiths wrote:
I was wondering what the bottleneck was. I'm adding a dozen indexes to
the same large-ish InnoDB table. Each successive index takes a bit
longer (45 seconds or so on a dual P3-933 with 2 gig of RAM).

Every time you add a new index or do any non-trivial modification to the schema, the old ones are being re-created. Because of that, you should , if possible, do
all schema modifications at once ( eg alter table add key(col1),add key(col2), add n int not null instead of alter table add key(col1); alter table add key(col2); alter table add n int not null)
Is it disk additional tables-space management that is taking the extra
time? Would faster disks help?

As a rule of thumb, when you feel tempted to add a faster disk to a MySQL server, you should resist the temptation. In three years of working on the MySQL support team I do not recall ever recommending to buy a faster disk - we've always been able to find a more elegant solution.

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/