Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether or not some kind of RAID will improve the seek/access times
during lots of random reads from, say, MyISAM data files?  I *do not care* about
improved [sequential] transfer rates; I want the fastest possible random access.

I'm thinking that RAID won't give an improvement in this case, because the disks can't
know where to read from until MySQL issues the seek calls. :-(  About the only thing I
can think of that may help is if you're using striping, there won't be as much data on
each disk so the head would need shorter seeks.

If RAID doesn't help the situation, any other ideas if the sub-6ms access times of the
fastest 15K SCSI drives isn't fast enough? :-)

Thanks,

Matt