After running in production for about seven weeks, our dumps on one of our BDB tables performed with mysqldump began failing with the message: 'mysqldump: Error 1030: Got error 12 from table handler when dumping table `reference` at row: 255233'.

Reviewing the error log and the MySQL doc, I see that that error message means that we should increase the bdb_max_lock variable from its default of 10000. But nowhere can I find an algorithm for calculating an appropriate value. Can anyone point me to some information on this?

Thanks,

Jim Hopp