Hi, all,

I'm still very much a newbie at MySQL, and thought a good starter project
would be a simple places database of every populated place-name in the world
along with its latitude and longitude.  I already have the data, and
originally planned to have only 4 tables with 2-4 fields each:

Places:  placename, adm2code, lat, lon
ADM2 (e.g. county):  adm2name, adm2code, adm1code
ADM1 (e.g. state):  adm1name, adm1code, countrycode
Country: countryname, countrycode

After importing the data, however, I realized that my key-ing must be wrong.
I didn't key the placename because they're not guaranteed to be unique, but
that means that a search for "Artesia" takes many (~30) seconds to complete,
which is really not very useful.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this is done?  I'm sure the same
problem comes up when searching for "Tom Jones" in a names database...

Thanks in advance.

- Bryan