"Rhino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 21/02/2004 16:59:27:

> I am new to most aspects of MySQL administration so I was wondering
> if someone can help me figure out what GRANTs I need for a
> particular situation.
>
> I have a user who needs to be able to run some MySQL scripts that
> create and load tables in a database named NFL. He is accessing
> MySQL remotely from a client on a Windows machine. Our server is
> running in Linux Mandrake 9.1; the client is Windows 98SE.
>
> I've run the following grants for him:
> grant all on NFL.* to [EMAIL PROTECTED] indentified by 'xxxxx';
> grant all on NFL.* to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by 'xxxxx';
> grant file on NFL.* to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by 'xxxxx';
> grant file on NFL.* to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by 'xxxxx';
>
> When I try signing on as him from my remote Windows client, he can
> connect to MySQL and get to the mysql prompt. He can run the script
> which creates and loads the tables. However, he gets "Access Denied"
> on the Load Data Infile statements when the script executes.
>
> 1. Why is this happening? The Load Data article says he needs the
> File privilege and I've given it to him. He also has all privileges
> on the NFL database. What more do I need to do for him?
>
> 2. Are the privileges given to [EMAIL PROTECTED] redundant with the
> privileges given to [EMAIL PROTECTED] They *look* redundant to me; I
> suspect I've misinterpreted something I read in the manual. Can I
> get by with giving him just the [EMAIL PROTECTED] privileges? Do I
> need to give him anything else to account for the fact that he is
> coming in from a remote client?

I note that you are running a mixed Windows/Linux system. My experience is
that using uppercase in such systems is a source of create problems. Since
database names and table names for MyISAM tables are file names, they are
case significant on Linux and non-significant on Windows. While I am sure
that there is an analytic way of handling the problems which arise, I found
that it was very difficult to understand and a source of avoidable
confusion. I would recommend that in any case where mixed *nix and Windows
systems are involved, you keep database and table names entirely to lower
case. The world will give you enough unavoidable problems - don't add an
avoidable one.

      Alec