Hi,

I want to add better support for Unicode in our application.

Currently we use the default charset of the application, but code our data
to UTF8 (It's a Delphi-Application with a native Component to connect to
MySQL). This works fine also for MySQL 3.23 with some limitations (No
sorting-support, no chance to use the wildcard '_', ...)

But I want to enhance our application so we can use the UTF8-Capabilities of
MySQL 4.1

1, I've creat the tables with UTF8-Saving (DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8)

2, I've added to commands when getting the connection to MySQL.

   SET NAMES 'utf8'
   SET CHARACTER SET utf8

as descriped unter http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Charset-connection.html

But this will stop our UTF8-Support. I can't write utf8-coded Data to the
database.
Nearly all Texts will be saved corrupted to the Database (Some characters
are replaced with ?)

I'm using the MySQL 4.1.1 unter Windows XP.

Whats wrong?

Best regards

Bernhard Geyer