At 16:26 -0500 2/24/04, Tristan Fiedler wrote:
Hi All,

Thank you very much for the kind and ample help !

I am running Mac OS X 10.3.2 Panther, and per the MySQL (DuBois) book have
created a new user 'mysqladm' to run the server.

I manually start the server now via :

sudo mysqld_safe --user=mysqladm

I have two questions :

1. Why does 'mysqld' appear as a process under both (Is this OK/secure?):

top -U root (although here, it does not seem to be "consuming any time")

top -U mysqladm

2.  Since I have created this new account solely for running the server,
how do I enable automatic starting of the server when I reboot?  I read
that Mac OSX has /Library/StartupItems /System/Library/StartupItems & also
a nice packaged 'Installer' but I am worried that my --user=mysqladm will
not be configured properly with this installer.

Grab that Startup Item package from www.mysql.com and install it. Then look under /System/Library/StartupItems/MySQL. In that directory, you'll find a file named "MySQL". Find the lines where it looks for the server and change them to have values appropriate for your system.

For example, the edited version might look like this:

cd /usr/local/mysql

# We have to find out if we're starting a 3.x or a 4.x
# MySQL database server
#
if [ -e ./bin/safe_mysqld ]
then
# This is version 3.x
#
#./bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
./bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysqladm &
elif [ -e ./bin/mysqld_safe ]
then
# This is version 4.x
#
#./bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &
./bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysqladm &

You'll probably want to change the cd command, too, if your installation
is located somewhere other than /usr/local/mysql.

Or else make /usr/local/mysql a symlink to your actual installation
directory.

-- Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team Madison, Wisconsin, USA MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

MySQL Users Conference: April 14-16, 2004
http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/