I have a 3.x database that I backed up and restored to a 4.0 server. All
worked fine, except for one issue:
One table holds addresses, and when restoring it, would fail with an
"unmatched quotes" message.

On further examination, I found that it would occur on entries where the
text was like "123 Main St, #301", but would work fine on entries like
"123 Main St, #22". The obvious difference being that the apartment
number is either less than or greater than 256.

Any ideas on why this quirk occurs, and how to get around it?

As a temporary measure I escape quoted all the hash signs in an address,
and it worked fine.  But why did it happen in the first place? Is there
something I have to do on the dump?