I am doing a very simple query joining two copies of tables with identical structures but different data. We are running MySQL 4.1.1.

The tables each have about 24,000 lines of data in them. For some reason this query, which is a simple join between the two tables is taking 8 minutes to run.

The query looks something like this:

Select *
FROM Table1 as a
INNER JOIN Table2 as b ON (a.ID = b.ID or (a.Field1 = b.Field1 and a.Field2 = b.Field2))
WHERE bla bla bla

We have tried to set up indexes and the query still takes 8 minutes to run. It only returns 6,000 records.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem and what we can do to fix it?

Thanks.